Services for novice and professional breeders.
At South Mountain Pet Care, we offer a variety of canine reproductive services for dog breeders and owners alike. Let our team of skilled veterinarians assist you with your dog’s reproductive needs.
- Breeding Soundness Exams (BSE)
- This is an in-depth semen analysis on your stud to check for fertility. We recommend that studs be at least one year of age for best results.
- PennHIP evaluations and OFA testing for hips, elbows, and patellae
- In-house Progesterone Testing
- These results help breeders know the best day for breeding, regardless of the method. It is also helpful to know if a pregnant female is close to delivering her litter, especially in the case of a cesarean section.
- Ovulation Timing Exams (OVT)
- Please call the first day you see bleeding from your female to schedule your appointment. The doctor will perform a physical and vaginal exam to ensure proper health for breeding. This is necessary before all breeding services for females.
- Semen collection, freezing, storage, and shipment
- Semen can be stored for many years and be used for future breedings. Frozen semen can be shipped domestically and internationally.
- Transcervical Inseminations (TCI)
- The female is awake and standing comfortably. The doctor will use specialized equipment to put semen directly into the uterus. A basic semen evaluation is included with this service.
- Surgical Artificial Inseminations
- This procedure is performed under general anesthesia and is a more invasive procedure. We do these less often now as in most cases TCI’s will provide us with the same results at a lower cost and a lower risk to the patient. A basic semen evaluation is included with this service.
- Fetal Ultrasound
- Fetal Radiographs
- Scheduled Cesarean Sections
- These are planned based on progesterone timing and radiographs. If you are concerned that your dog needs a c-section, please discuss your concerns during your fetal radiograph appointment.
If you’d like to learn more about the canine reproductive services we offer, call us at (801) 987-3639.